Sunday, January 3, 2010

First Cooking Attempt

I used to bake a lot but I can count with my fingers the number of times I've actually cooked (just spaghetti and bacon). It's not because I don't want to cook, I'm just insanely scared of fire/flames, oil wisik and I've developed an allergy to LPG.

We received an electric stove as one of our wedding gifts so we were quite excited to try it out. We planned to cook sinangag and hotdog for breakfast.

Up early the day after we went to the grocery I prepared the rice, garlic, egg and sliced some cold cuts for the sinangag. Cleaned up the pan and readied the cooking oil while Sweetie was preparing the electric stove. It was both our first time so we opened up the manual, but it was practically useless since it didn't even show which of the scribbles on the knob meant "off".

Went ahead and turn on the electric stove, placed the pan on one of the pads and placed in some cooking oil. Waited for the oil to heat up a bit when suddenly the electric stove churned out some white smoke from its bottom. Tried to check the manual again but it didn't say anything about it so Sweetie immediately unplugged it and brought it out to the dirty kitchen since it was quite smelly.

We ended up placing all the ingredients in a bowl and cooked it via the microwave. The sinangag didn't turn out the way I envisioned it, but it was still edible. Sweetie also cooked the hotdog through the microwave. We later on had the stove checked by my Mom's trusty all-around worker and he was smiling when he told us that what happened was normal since the stove was new. He said that the coils were heating up for the first time and that's the reason why there was smoke (and one of our Plurk friends confirmed this).

Our first cooking attempt was a huge failure, but we still had a hearty breakfast.  Don't know yet when we'll cook again... we're planning to collect some food from all the parties we'll be going to in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment